1. Make sure that all moulds are cleaned; remove any grease, oil etc. In the case any other type of coating than Boron Nitride has been previously used, residues of this coating should be removed completely. Furthermore, all moulds should be dry and cold before applying the coating.
2. Dilute the ALU-STOP LC 15 Boron Nitride coating: Mix one (1) part of ALU-STOP LC 15 with two (2) parts of (distilled) water. Mix carefully prior to applying.
3. Apply the diluted, ready-to-use coating, preferable by spraying. Use an airbrush-type spray gun with a nozzle diameter of approximately 1,0 - 1,5 mm. Spray a thin layer of Boron Nitride onto the moulds. The thickness of the layer should be in a range of 50 - 150 μm. After applying the coating, the mould should not be completely white. There should be a thin layer of Boron Nitride on the surface of the mould with the metal still shining through.
4. Dry the coating: The coating can either dry on air (slow) or can be dried in combination with the preheating of the ingot moulds, prior to casting. As the layer of applied coating is thin, drying will happen fast, no special procedures are necessary.
5. Start to cast. As ALU-STOP LC 15 is a very efficient coating, usually no new coating need to be applied while the cast is running. In the case that new coating should be applied anyway while the cast is running (e.g. by an automatic spraying device), make sure only very thin layers are applied, to prevent the build-up of Boron Nitride. As the coating is applied to a hot mould, usually no extra drying is necessary. Note: Depending on the actual temperature of the mould when the recoating is applied, the ALU-STOP LC 15 for this application may be diluted with three (3) to four (4) parts of water (instead of two only, like for cold application), as the water may partially already vapourize before the coating hits the mould.
6. When the cast is finished, the remaining Boron Nitride coating may be removed by wiping it off the mould. After that, go back to step 1.
© 2031 Büro für angewandte Mineralogie · Dr. Stephan Rudolph · D-47918 Tönisvorst
These recommendations are believed to be correct. However, no guarantee of their accuracy is given. Therefore, purchasers shall make their own tests to determine suitability for their use. These products are offered for industrial and related uses (e.g. research and development) only. However the user must take the necessary precautions appropriate for products containing chemicals. This description does not imply the absence of any patents, the responsibility whatsoever solely rests with the user.